September 7, by Nathaly Pesantez
Urban Rustic, the cafe and marketplace in Williamsburg across McCarren Park, has been temporarily closed by the health department.
The locale at 236 N 12th St was temporarily closed after a Sept. 5 DOH inspection found six sanitary violations, with half of them in the “critical range”, including evidence of mice or live mice, filth flies, and cold food items held at improper temperatures. The inspection revealed 45 points worth of violations.
Urban Rustic, which serves locally sourced, organic sandwiches, juices, salads, and coffee, opened in 2007 by Aaron Wolf, a filmmaker and one-time congressional candidate, after the release of his documentary on the American food industry.
The full list of violations:
1) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
2) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
3) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
4) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
5) Food contact surface not properly maintained.
6) Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.